Thursday 23 September 2010

Wednesday: The New Friday

Ah Wednesday... originally named in honour of the Norse god Oden and more recently known by many as the middle of the work week or more colourfully as "Hump Day" (insert your own joke).  Well, now I have another name for it...  have you all heard the news?  Wednesday is the new Friday!  For the first time, I'm taking advantage of my 3-day-a-week job and decided to not call in for work today.  Its very liberating feeling, a bit like a school boy playing hooky (not that I ever did anything like that... I was sick... honest mom! ;).  Anyone jealous yet?

Last year I think I was simply too conscious of the financial uncertainty of supply work to ever willingly take a day off, but with this 3-day guarantee and good feedback from previous schools, I'm a lot more relaxed about it.  At the moment I seem to be consistently getting 4 days of work each week which I'm quite happy with.  I know the work is there and it will get busier after the October half-term break so I may as well take advantage of my flexible schedule while I can.  I may land a full time position in January and long for these days again.   It was definitely a nice break in the week just taking it easy at home and I feel quite refreshed to go into my booking tomorrow (at a nearby school). 

Speaking of last year, today is officially my one year anniversary in London.  Yup, one year ago to this day I was stepping off of a plane at Heathrow airport looking around with an air of excitement and apprehension, wondering what I had gotten myselaf into :).  A few weeks ago some friends (the survivors) and I had been talking about this and reflecting on we wanted to do this time in "Round 2".  Honestly, I've had a good year and met some amazing people so I don't know what I would do differently.  I guess I'll try to do more of the same (as its worked so far... famous last words I know) and maybe be a bit more proactive in meeting people and more conscientious about planning.  I also want to take another big trip... maybe Egypt or Eastern Europe.  Better start saving!

Since yesterday was the new Friday, I suppose this means that today is Saturday, though it feels more like a Sunday as I have to work again on Friday which, following this pattern, would be Monday.  Arg!  Its Monday already?!  Where has the weekend gone?!  Wait, you mean the weekend  is two days from now?  But any Reception student... ok, some Reception students could tell you that Tuesday is after Monday which... oh forget it, I'm just going to bed! lol

No comments:

Post a Comment