Sunday 22 November 2009

The Bestest Teacher

Well all, here we are at the end of one week and the beginning of another. 

First off, unfortunately I have to announce that my blog entry was not chosen.  It’s too bad ‘cause I really liked it – guess it may have been a little too artsy lol.  Oh well, I’m not upset about it... this just means I have more time to write on my blog.

In terms of work, this week has been a first for me – I’ve had full teaching work every day!  The majority of my work has been from schools calling me back.   As well, I’m booked for 3 days of work next week.  Teaching is good...

As you can imagine, I’ve had reason to reflect upon how lucky I’ve been thus far.  It’s true that the work was slow to come and that I’ve made some mistakes in the beginning (ok, that hasn’t changed – I still make mistakes lol), but overall things have been good.  I’ve got my health, friends, a roof over my head, my finances are stabilizing and I’m doing something I love to do in LONDON!  This week, I had one of those special moments that just gives you that warm feeling inside and makes teaching so worth it:

I was walking up to the staff room (at a school I’ve been called back to several times) for lunch when I       passed two Year 3 students.  One stops, turns to me and says, “Mr. Kearley, I think you’re my bestest teacher.  And my friend here thinks you’re his bestest teacher too.” 

At the end of the day, while I was watching my students being picked up, I met the boy’s aunt and was told that he had been “raving” about me back home.  Apparently, the online story site (Tumble Books) was so enjoyable that several of students looked it up and were reading stories at home from it.  It's days like that that make me glad I chose teaching as a profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment