Monday 20 December 2010

Travel Chaos or The Long Road Home

After a grueling 22h of delays and cancellations, I'm pleased to announce that I have made it safely to Toronto and am currently at Krystal's house.  It was a bit dicey for awhile and I wasn't always sure I was going to make it... near the end I was feeling a bit light-headed from the lack of sleep (and a developing cold).  The only thing that made the 12h wait at the airport bearable was the company of several friends - its interesting how travel adversity brings people close together.  Though the airport was jammed full of people (some sleeping on the floor for up to 3 days!), everyone was nice and helpful to each other.  It was also funny just how many young, Canadian teachers waiting for flights...

I think the most annoying part of the whole experience was the lack of information provided by the airport.  There was no poor weather yesterday, so it left many of us wondering what the delay could be.  Have you noticed how much easier it seems to bear bad news when you know the reason for it?  A simple "due to the adverse weather conditions yesterday, many of the planes are out of place.  We are now waiting for the plane to arrive" or "due to transport issues, the pilots and many of the ground crew staff were unable to make it to work in a timely manner" could of alleviated a lot of stress.  When we boarded our plane, the captain was really nice and explained the reason for the delay... one funny moment came when, after waiting an extra 30-ish minutes for the short-staffed baggage handlers to load the plane, the captain came on again and said, "Sorry folks, but I have some more bad news - since we've been sitting here too long we now have to arrange for our wings to be de-iced."

Ah well... I'm just grateful I made it.  I heard from several friends that their airlines were canceling all flights - some were told not to expect any flights until the 24th!  Crazy that a bit of snow could cause all of this travel. 

The important thing is that I'm in Canada and ready to spend a great Christmas holiday with my friends and family :).

No comments:

Post a Comment