Monday 5 October 2009

First Week Musings

Greetings to my loyal readers (whoever you may be :)!  Since I’ve finished my first week as a supply (and had fun), I’d thought I’d take the opportunity to reflect upon some of my experiences and advice that I’ve been given.

1. Resources and support:  Quite simply, I was impressed.   Each classroom had its own SMARTBoard (with Internet access), several computer, was bright and cheerful and had shelves of references.  As well, there was a general TA assigned to each class in addition to any EAs required by the students’ IEP, meaning there were between 2-3 adults in the classroom.  I love working on the SMARTBoard – you can just do so many more things than on a chalkboard (like those web-based educational games and video clips).  The staff was also very welcoming and happy to help or explain anything that I needed to know about.

2. Classroom Management:  Since I was in an older year, it gave me an opportunity to practice different styles of management (i.e. hand up, 3 tier punishment, achievement stickers).  As a supply, it's important find out from the classroom TA what the students are used to and work from there.  In general, I’ve found that I need to be more directive / assertive and to stay on top of the class. 

One of the most effective ways to manage behaviour is to keep the students busy and involved.  To do this, I break the work up into chunks (i.e. questions 1-5), give the students an appropriate amount of time to do it in (i.e. 10 min), then check in and take them up.  This is a useful way to assess whether the class really understood the lesson and to help them set achievable goals.  It also gives the students a structure and a goal to work towards – as one of my practicum teachers said, “Students do most of their work in the last 10 min of the time”.  During the work time, I circulate to answer questions and encourage the students (this is very important).

3. Preparedness and flexibility:  Sometimes difficult to judge how quickly students will work or what’s going to happen that day, so it’s necessary for me to have quick, adaptable lessons ready to go.  I’ve learned to keep a list of useful websites along with a few PowerPoint presentations and worksheets on my USB key as well as bringing along a rich story book that can be used for a variety of ages and activities (I have “The Dot” by Peter Reynolds).  I’m also trying to find “The Paper Bag Princess”, but apparently it was just reprinted and none of the bookstores over here have it in stock (one is ordering it for me). 

4. Ask Questions:  The idea is to ask the question before the administration tells you the answer.  By asking, I’m showing an interest and enthusiasm for my job as well as making sure I learn everything I need to know (i.e. behaviour management policies, special events, routines, etc).  It’s always better to ask upfront than to try to guess or make something up later.

5. Attitude:  Positive attitude begets positive reactions.  “I’m the adult in charge. I’m here to guide these students and we will have fun learning something.”  It is so important to stay positive even when things aren’t going so great, but the students take their lead from me (even if it doesn’t always seem that way :).  If I seem to be having fun and in control, they’re more likely to be too.

No comments:

Post a Comment