Thursday 31 December 2009

Happy Hogmanay!

Here we are – at the end of another year.  Standing on the divide reflecting on the last and wondering what joys and challenges the new will bring.  In some ways, it is a bit melancholy – feeling time slip away with things yet undone.  On the other hand, the feeling of moving towards the great, unknown future is exciting.  What’s in store for me?  Will I succeed?  Who knows?

I'm having a grand time over here in Scotland – it’s so nice to be able to spend the holidays with family.  We've having a nice, relaxing vacation... sleeping in till mid morning, puttering around the house before going off sight-seeing somewhere or visiting. 

It is so beautiful over here.  I can’t quite explain it, but the snow, the hills and the stone houses all work together to give the place a very traditional Christmas feeling.  The town itself even reminds me a little bit of home. As my photo albums can attest, I can hardly look outside without wanting to take pictures.  Every bend in the road shows another postcard-worthy vista. 

The weather is quite snowy and cold (gets between freezing and -17C most nights)... they're calling it the worst winter in two decades.  Although I mentioned how nice the snow was, the truth is that this country does not cope well with it (due to the infrequent winter weather conditions making it economically infeasible).  I think my favourite story that sums this up was in the parking lot of a cafe we stopped in for lunch.  The lot was covered in slippery snow and one of the cars after us got stuck.  Apparently the young man had heard that you’re supposed to “rock the car” in these circumstances, so he began rocking himself back and forth while spinning his front wheels....

Anyways, Happy Holidays to my friends and family!  I hope things are going well!

No comments:

Post a Comment