Wednesday 10 March 2010

Bit of a rant

I know its not my normal blog day (but then, when have I actually followed a proper blog schedule?)  I have a bit of a rant about the professionalism of supply teachers to get off my chest so bear with me. 

The set-up:  It was around 4:15 and I was just finishing off my marking and the letter to the class teacher after a lovely day with a Year 1 class when in walks the other Year 1 teacher.  She seemed surprised that I was still there and commended me for going beyond expectations - “most of our supplies shove off around 3:30 and leave the marking for the class teacher the next day”.

The distressing part of all this is that its not the first time I’ve heard comments to that effect.  I’m fairly sure that I have a pretty standard agency contract and it (as well as every booking e-mail) states that I am to arrive before 8:30am, stay until 4:30pm and finish any marking or tidying that is required unless informed otherwise. 
Now I love getting compliments for a job well done, but the number of times I’ve been praised for simply following my contract just seems strange.  I mean, what kind of supply teachers are they getting to think that doing the job we’re paid to do is exceptional?  After all, delivering a lesson is only part of supply teaching... what ever happened to professionalism and doing the job that you’re paid to do?

I do realize that different schools have different dismissal times and some people are faster / more efficient workers.  So its not out of the question for teachers to be finished by 3:30pm and may object to “desk warming”.  However, that’s no excuse for leaving work undone or sloppily completed.  There is also something to be said of being available if a member of staff or student needs to speak with you.   I just can’t understand how someone could put so little effort in something as so important as education.

No comments:

Post a Comment