Monday 1 March 2010

Yes We Did!

Who's #1?  CANADA!!  Ok, that was a great gaming... nail biting to the finish!  Luongo's stellar goaltending and beautiful goals by Toews, Perry Crosby sealed Canada's 14th gold medal (the most out of any country this Olympics).  After queuing for over an hour, I eventually was able to get into a pub showing live footage and let me tell you it was so worth it.  There is definately something to be said about watching a game live, surrounded by fans - when Crosby got that last goal, the cheering was deafening in the bar as we broke out into spontaeous renditions of "O Canada".  It was exciting, but it also underscored how far away from home I am.

A few people back home have asked me why the British coverage of the Olympics has been so critical...  honestly, this is the first I've heard of it.  There was very little coverage of the Games over here as the public, by and large, is fairly indifferent about the Winter Olympics - many did not even realize the Olympics had started.  This probably due to a relatively weak winter team and their preoccupation with organizing the Summer Games.  I had to rely on North American media and family/friends to tell me what was going on :). 

So, some of you may be wondering why I am blogging at such a strange hour... aren't I suppose to be at work (especially considering I'm on a Guarenteed Work Agreement and this is a very busy time for the agencies)?  Well yes I am, but they forgot about me :).  This morning, I was told to make sure I kept my mobile on me as they would definately place me.  Around 9 I called back to ask why I hadn't been placed and it turns out they had penciled me in for a Year 6 class, but found another lady closer to the school.  After they gave the place to her, they forgot to put my name back on the available list.  So here I am, being paid to sit at home typing on my computer... my life is so hard, isn't it? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment