Saturday 6 March 2010

Interesting Day...

Well, yesterday was certainly the interesting day.  Just like on Monday, I was told that things were very busy and that I should expect a call early.  So here I was sitting at my computer watching the clock as 7:30 changed to 8:00 which became 8:30 then 9:00... by the time 9:30 rolled around I had pretty much given up on working and changed into my casual clothes.  As luck would have it, no sooner had I done so then I get a call asking me to go teach a Year 5 class at a nearby school.  This is a new record for me - getting a work call at 9:45am :).  Being me, I was able to get changed and there by 10:10 and had a great (read "easy") day.

Over here, the classes get a 15 min mid-morning break and an hour lunch break.  Then it is up to the individual school whether or not to give the classes another 15 min mid-afternoon break - some do, some don't.  Another cultural difference.

The reason I mentioned this is because I recieved a message from my agency in the afternoon, but because Key Stage 2 classes don't have an afternoon break, I wasn't able to check it until I dismissed the class.  Good thing too... if I had, I don't know if I could've concentrated on my lessons as well lol.  They were calling to offer me an LTO in a nursery class!!  It was at a school I had done a lot of supply in previously, so I didn't even need an interview.  Of course I accepted :).  So all in all, a good day.

My position is set to start after the Easter Break (April 26th) and runs until the end of term (July 22).  I'm still considered a daily worker and will recieve the same pay as well as submit weekly timesheets.  The big difference is that I have guaranteed work in the same class and will be responsible for planning and assessment instead of just implementing plans left by other teachers (dear lord, that means I have to learn the curriculum and plan ahead... lol).  Its a lot more responsibility, but a good step forward for my career.  I've said all along that I miss having my own room and how I want to put my own stamp on it - well, here's my chance.  Several of my friends have found England teaching to be very rigid and focused on assessment ("soul destroying" one called it).  Let's see if I can cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment